Saturday, October 22, 2016

The stranger

This story is about no one. All incidents mentioned in this story is highly controversial and may not be suitable for all audiences.
Reader discretion is advised.

All right all right.
Let me get to the story now.

As like every of my crush stories, she definitely had all the ingredients that made the general formula tick.

It was somewhere in october when i first saw her.
The canteen was the hunting ground for all of us. I think you know what i mean. The green tag on her indicated that she was new around here. And she got the customary looks of appreciation, the archs of eye brows and the drawn breath indicated that there was a new player in town.

She was not drop dead gorgeous, she was thin, tall and lanky and sort of had an innocent face.

And i used to be really early to office and keep in wait like a tiger that prowls for its prey.
Truth be said, her innocent face had really taken to me.

Like clockwork she used to come to canteen. 8.35 to 8.39 , i used to have her darshan and a smile automatically came across my face.

This was at first not noticed by many others who joined my canteen table but then word spreads fast in the circles and soon it was estsblished that i had a crush on the tall and ridiculously innocent faced assassin.

I was afraid to talk to her, i had no reference of introduction and no reference for small talk. And so it passed. Monday's 8.35 , Tuesday's 8.35, Wednesday clockwork, Thursday perfectly on time, Friday too she landed exactly at that exact time.

And wait she was always accompanied by this large gang of girls. Around 6 to 7 actually , and really seriously tenacious looking people who at times caught my glances at the innocent queen .

The pattern continued. The days rolled on, and the slowly the day would not be complete without her being seen

Slowly i was slipping into an all too familiar entrapment. Sometimes i felt really bad , her existence in my life and her absence in mine. Like a eagle hovering over the plains in search of one opening.

One conversation is all i had ever wanted.

But today as I write the obituary for the feelings I garnered for her, entire twelve month mourning over. I am still a stranger in her eyes, the stalker , the stealer of glances and the stranger.

The one single conversation still seems elusive, but the last fire of the crush has ebbed away.

I think one year is a long time for a lady to know that she is in someone's radar.
And true to that , i think she knew.

It hit me after a long work day , the swirling emotions inside my head, came across the possibility of how i looked in her eyes.

The stranger.

It hit me really hard that night.

But when she made her debut in my life, Her simplicity had me crooning for her introduction, not a single line of makeup , long articulate fingers and a voice that was a little shrill, ( but that's acceptable).

Her presence made me smile and it came at a time, when personally i was a train wreck. The struggle at office was soon forgotten when it was 8.35 in canteen.

And it just gave my over worked mind a respite, my tensed nerves a soothing reprive and as days passed she came to be associated a happiness feeling.

And those days i needed that happiness very much, but of course she never knew it.

And now i had come to a stage where her image in my head was perfect, ( may be you can associate that with watching too many movies).
So perfect that I did not want to really know her faults and her flaws or her interests and passion...

I just wanted her to continue as my symbol of happiness.

At this point of time you are free to judge my honesty as and how you see fit.

There was a brief flicker of hope when the rational mind took over and a friend request was sent to her social media profile which was found after much research. A part of me still wanted to know her . But then as corporate people would put it. It was not in the priority list then...

There was much joy in life when she accepted this olive branch, but even then no conversation was hatched.

Now I know you are laughing at me, in fact even I was. But then she was among those really private individuals who did not want intruders on her life and she was not really a social media person and so was washed away any last surviving scraps of hope.

In an office full of people i was acquainted with there was absolutely no one who i could call on for an introduction, it is like that corner that only an mosquito or a cockroach can hide when attacked , my chances of getting to know her hid in that very unaccessible corner of the world...

And slowly i came out of the vortex of infatuation and moved on with my life...

Until one day i happened to see her in a black attire...
All resolve broke away .
All promises i made to myself to stay away from trouble vanished.

I was marooned , hook line and sinker.

Still i was the stranger in her life , and the sadness still persisted that i had failed for almost a year to have a single and simple conversation with someone i desperately wanted to know.

By then i had assimilated enough information to know that she would never be compatible with my eccentricity and madness.

But now it was a challenge to my ego...

And yet again i failed. I remembered one date very well, the day of her birth .

And as and when it came, i was blank, and i had opened a mail , written " Happy birthday ” and really contemplated whether to send it. I waited for the entire day. But at the end I just did not have it in me to click send.

And the crush story well and truly ended and this time there would be no zombies.

But all is well that ends well...
But this one ended a long time before it even started...

Thus ends the obituary of my crush.

Well this story is about no one. All incidents in this story are completely false and any resemblance to anyone you know is purely a matter of your concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment