Friday, October 4, 2013

MASTER

6 multiplied by 6?

I blabbered twelve in haste!
I was standing on the old wooden bench shivering in fear,
As the village school master made his way towards me...
Thin lean n strict,perenially angry,with a large thick cane in hand...
6X6 he continued??
I nodded my head like a bewildered cow,
In a slow arc of his cane,
Deadly as a hurricane,it struck my legs with a bitter sound..
I wailed in agony,as my ears were caught in his grip..
He pulled it , twisted it hard hoping that the correct answer would
dramatically arrive on my tongue tips...
Another time I screamed,
even before his cane impacted the soft flesh of humiliation..
He strode back to the board,
Asking me to write the six tables a hundred times...
Slowly sobbing away I stood on top of a wooden bench,drenched in shame..
I told myself never to incur his wrath again...
I learnt his lessons like the holy scriptures...

and I prayed to the gods to spare me each time he walked around with his cane...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment